Today it’s stay-off-Twitter-to-protest-against-rapey-bastards day. There may be a shorter catchier name for it, but you get the drift. It all started when a lady got rape threats for saying that a woman should be on banknote.
Controversial stuff, right?
So I figured that maybe I could help contribute to world peace on the interwebs with a few thoughts on how to not be a total douche on and offline.
- Don’t ever make rape threats, or any other threat of violence against anyone. Even if they say something that you, like, really don’t agree with.
- Seriously. Just don’t.
- Defending an opinion is never a reason for acting like a dick.
- Defending a cause isn’t either.
- No, really, any cause. Not even that one.
- A dick defending a cause only hurts that cause and everyone else who supports it.
- Seriously, it doesn’t matter if you’re fighting against sexism, racism, LGBT-phobia, religion, politics, or defending your right to be curvy, a vegetarian, in an open relationship, or any of a million other things. Nothing gives you the right to insult anyone that you perceive to be “on the other side”. Supporting your cause does not mean that all men, white people, straight people, religious people, skinny people, omnivores, people in monogamous relationships or any other group is less worthy of respect than you. Some of those things are life choices, others are just how they were born. None of them are wrong. None of them are a cause for insult.
- Insulting online strangers you will never meet doesn’t make it any less of an insult.
- Insulting anyone says more about you than the person you’re insulting.
- Try working on being able to respectfully disagree with other people.
- Learn to listen. You know, those words produced by other people? They might help you to understand what they actually mean. Just saying.
- You’ve been/are going through stuff. We get it. Thing is, so have/are other people. Just because someone puts on a socially acceptable face in public doesn’t mean they don’t know what it’s like. Lashing out because you’re hurting is forgivable, but it’s still pretty damn dickish.
- Keeping an open mind doesn’t mean only ever defending one side of every debate. It means respecting all sides and trying to understand them.
- If you don’t agree with any of these thoughts, feel free to move on and get over it.
P.S. Russia, seriously, we still love you, but you’ve gotta stop being such a dick. It’s starting to show.