After deleting a few people from my timeline (and of course feeling insanely guilty for it even though I’ve long since tired of their tweets, I figured now would be as good a time as any to post my version of twitter rules. These are the ones I use to pick who I follow or unfollow and what I tweet about. They’re personal to me, so I don’t expect everone/anyone to agree, but if they can help you figure out your own, then my job is done. Not that this is my job. You know what I mean.
- Don’t retweet yourself.
- Don’t repeat exactly the same thing in the same or a slightly different way.
- Don’t repeat the same thing over and over again.
- Repeating yourself is annoying and boring, so don’t do it.
- I don’t care if you’re famous, whether I like your books, movies, series or whatever, if you want to make it in twitterville, you’ve got to be interesting. That means not just retweeting people saying you’re fantastic. You know who you are.
- Similarly, just because I unfollow or don’t follow you on twitter, doesn’t mean I don’t like you as a person or as an actor/writer/musician/whatever. It just means that I don’t enjoy reading your tweets at the moment. Sometimes it’s me, sometimes it’s you.
- Famous or not, if you sound fake, you sound fake.
- Don’t ask for followers.
- Don’t beg for followers.
- Don’t threaten to kill yourself if you don’t get more followers.
- Don’t keep moaning about how many followers you have, have gained or lost.
- If you complain that I’ve unfollowed you the second I hit the button, then you totally deserved to be unfollowed.
- Also, don’t repeat yourself, only less often, hoping people won’t notice.
- Just have fun writing your tweets, if you would enjoy them if someone else wrote them, then the chance are, other people will like yours.
- Don’t ever take Twitter seriously.
Those are mine, what are yours?